? ??????????????Easter Egg Hunt? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.5 (4 Ratings)??233 Grabs Today. 3848 Total Grabs. ?
?????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Sunflowery Days? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??217 Grabs Today. 2762 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????????? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, March 19, 2009

More on diversity...

Because of a comment from Etenesh, I decided to write more and try to clarify my diversity rant a bit. I hope that neither Etenesh nor anyone else takes offense from what I write. I am merely expressing my opinion, which is the purpose of my blog, and I totally understand and respect that many do not agree with me. That's totally fine. We don't have to agree with each other on everything, as long as we can disagree and discuss with maturity and civility.

Now that I'm done with THAT rant...

I'm going to use a really simply example of race. I don't think about what race someone is unless it's pointed out to me. I don't think about it in my personal life, my professional life, or my school life - including when I am writing news stories/interviewing people. I have grown up believing that the race of a person is not an issue. People are people to me. Period.

My teachers like to belabor the point that when we interview and write, we need to be sure we include people of different races (etc.) to have diversity in our stories. So basically, they are telling us TO take notice of someone's race and that race IS an issue.

I'm sorry?

So, if I understand this correctly, when I'm writing, I am supposed to take into account a person's race. To me, interviewing or not interviewing someone based on their race is MORE racist than just not even thinking about it. If I specifically look for someone black to interview because of the fact that they are black, that, to me, is blatant racism. All my life I've been told not to treat people differently because of their race, but now all of a sudden that's different. I have to seek out black people to interview because they are a different color than I am.

This goes against everything I believe and everything I've been taught.

In my opinion, giving ANYONE special treatment because of their race equals racism - whether that person is black, white, brown, yellow...doesn't matter. And that is why I don't like my teachers harping on diversity all the time. I am not opposed to diversity - in fact, I think diversity is a great thing. But I get really sick my teachers assuming that everyone in the class is racist/sexist/anti-whatever.

I refuse to give anyone special treatment because of their color/gender/whatever. Just like I don't want special treatment because of MY color/gender/whatever.

(This also goes along with affirmative action. But that's a later rant for a later time.)

If I haven't explained myself clearly, please let me know. I don't want to offend anyone and I definitely want to make sure I'm not misunderstood.

2 comments:

Etenesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Etenesh said...

One of the many reasons that I'm so happy to have added you as a friend here and on Facebook is that your our views are polar opposites and after reading a blog post or status update of yours I tend to think a lot more than usual about some of the things you've mentioned. I appreciate exposure to differing views and often times seek it out because my ultimate goal is to understand as much as I can about how someone who thinks so differently from me came to do so. As you may be able to tell, I don't have really any conservative friends so it's nice to hear from someone who isn't on tv (I personally can't stand them b/c they actually do offend me from time to time).

Because of that it is often hard to offend me if you aren't saying something completely retarded (and please excuse my lack of eloquence there lol) so please don't worry about it. It is your blog to say whatever you want and it should be a place where you don't have to worry about being pc or anything.

But please know that I will always respect your opinion. (I edited my previous comment)